Friday 4 May 2012

People like us






PEOPLE LIKE US

 by Robert Bly


'There are more like us. All over the world
There are confused people, who can't remember
The name of their dog when they wake up, and people
Who love God but can't remember where

He was when they went to sleep. It's
All right. The world cleanses itself this way.
A wrong number occurs to you in the middle
Of the night, you dial it, it rings just in time

To save the house. And the second-story man
Gets the wrong address, where the insomniac lives,
And he's lonely, and they talk, and the thief
Goes back to college. Even in graduate school,

You can wander into the wrong classroom,
And hear great poems lovingly spoken
By the wrong professor. And you find your soul,
And greatness has a defender, and even in death you're safe.'


As part of my new INSPIRE campaign, I have approached a few of the people I know who have turned their lives around and had the courage to take the plunge and set out in the pursuit of their dreams.

In his book, 'Authentic Happiness', Martin Seligman, the pioneer of positive psychology, offers amongst other solutions for finding more happiness,  the suggestion that people are happiest when they’re using their signature strengths. Seligman says that if we discover a calling, something that links to a greater good, which utilizes our signature strengths, we tend to be happy.

With this in mind, I am going to ask my friends a few questions the answers to which I hope will charge me, keep me going in the quest for my dream. Some of them dedicated time to becoming photographers, others have written books, some have decided to invest their lives in the greater good and now do charity work, while others went on to turn a hobby into a way of living.

Almost every person I know has a dream, of doing something other than what they are doing. But only some of us wake up one day and decide they can't postpone the dream any longer. And they are people like us, like you and me...

I hope their stories will get you where you want to be. Stay inspired!



Note: Collage made with pictures of friends. I hope they don't mind I've used them, but if they do, I will remove the image...Just let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment