Sunday 20 May 2012

El tango


“El tango es un sentimiento triste que se baila” ('The tango is a sad feeling which you dance') -  Enrique Santos Discepolo, Argentinian tango and milonga composer


I am nurturing a dream about learning how to tango, wrap myself in a fiery red dress, put on fishnet stockings and strappy dance shoes and walk the streets of Buenos Aires in search for the dance of my life. For some reason, despite the fact I've never set foot in Buenos Aires (yet!), I know without a doubt is somewhere I must go. As if some sort of unfinished business from a previous life calls for me there. And now I know why...

I am firm believer in the invisible connection between things in life. Having found a deal at a hotel in Bournemouth which included a week-end of tango made me think that I may be getting a step closer to the vision of me dancing the tango in Buenos Aires. I was closer to the truth than I expected because I finally learnt a thing or two about tango.

All I really knew about tango before this week-end was that it is a difficult dance. And passionate. The rest I tried to figure out by watching other people dance but couldn't figured out the pattern. What were the rules, I kept asking myself?... But then I found out there are no rules. 

The tango is a dance where the man leads and woman follows, in a sensual embrace. The tango is all about trust and now I know what everyone means by tango being a difficult dance. I am not comfortable with letting go and trusting myself into somebody else's hands. In all honesty, especially when it comes to men... I like to know what's coming, be in control, do my steps, perhaps even nudge my dancing partner a bit when I think he's falling behind. Not in tango though. In tango you have to close your eyes and take a leap of faith, accept the lead and let yourself be taken on a journey. 

I guess there's only one man I could dance the tango with: the kind that I could entrust myself to share the saddest feeling in the world with.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment