Tuesday 22 June 2010

Living with Death

I keep my side of the escalator, holding tight to the gripping rubber. Sometimes at the rush hour on your way to work, you don't have much time to think about. You have to appreciate the posibility of sneaking into the Central Line overcrowded carriage just about the time when everyone else has already given up and mentally calculate how many minutes you'll be late today. You feel rather cheerful that you might be late actually only about 5 minutes, which is an achievement. Being constanly late at work is a sign of lack of excitement and I already know it in my heart that I ain't looking forward to much. Not even that large Costa latte as I am again obviously late.

I am keeping my side of the escalator looking at the faces passing me by in the opposite direction. Somehow I get to thinking that all of these people passing in front of my eyes will all be dead one day. It almost smelt of fresh corpses... I stopped for a moment to think of why in the world such thoughts occur and what I realize is that I am filling my lungs with air (to be fair, not the freshest air but air nevertheless) and try feel that air coming in and out of my lungs as if that would ensure my immortality. These days I find breathing a wonderful way of reminding myself I am alive.

I think of all the people that may be filling their lungs with the same or at least similar air and perhaps with the conscience that their future is a matter of days rather than a matter of years. How do you do it then? How do you carry on living when you know you are going to die? How do people think when Death is imminent?... I have always found conforting the fact that the future may be yet an unwriten page and I wonder what do you do when you know your future's been already written?...Perhaps by a doctor's hand writing down a diagnostic... What do you do first? Cry, scream, be angry, deny it, start running, fall on your knees, pray to
God, hope?...

It's funny how we don't manage to be able to acknowledge death.. Death has been given to us at birth and somehow we live our lives as if we are supposed to live forever, as if one day things will turn out the way we want it and all we have to do and sit around and wait for that amazing future to happen. What if it doesn't? What if we wake up one day and notice our time's up? Do we regret not having spent our lives better? Not having made fools of ourselves and pursue our silly little dreams, send those flowers to that person we are in love with, not having told the loved ones enough times how much we love them, not having closed our eyes when breathing in an out and be paralized with the happiness of being alive.
I keep my side of the escalator and look blankly at the advertising passing by. One day, different people will buy different things. For now, we are the ones alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment