Sunday 13 June 2010

It's nice to be in Nice but it's so much nicer to be back...

Before starting this new post I wondered why google posted links about products that help with smelly feet... Sure that nothing I have written before had anything to do with sweaty soles, I decided to plunge into the subject o fthe day and start by saying it's nice to be in Nice, but God I am thankful that I live in London.

There has always been something about the French Riviera that has fascinated me since I was a child. From Brigitte Bardot movies and the decadent 70's style to Louis de Funes and his Gendarmes series, from Nice to Marseille and of course, Saint Tropez and Monte Carlo, that part of the world has played quite a remarkable role in the way I define my style today, altough I only set foot in Nice for the first time on Thursday this week.

Not that I thought I would find streets paved with gold and coquette mademoiselles wearing a head scarf and oversized Chanel sunglasses while driving a convertible, but Nice of today had nothing to make me go wow! What I found in Nice was that people had an annoying tendency to shush us everytime we had a conversation that could be heard, that restaurants hosts don't feel the need to explain why they let us waiting for 10 minutes before bothering to ask what we needed, that ocassionaly shoe shop assitants gave us the frown when asked to bring a shoe in a different size and that the beach is covered in pebbles that in all honesty hurt your feet so much when walking that it makes one forget all about the ice cold water.

However, what else I found in Nice was that in good company, every place in the world is a joy, that the plat du jour is undoubtfully the best meal choice, that my French is actually pretty decent, that the sun can be really pleasant even when lying on stones and that generally speaking I am absolutely grateful to be living in London, the city where you never get shushed, the place where you have the luxury to complain if you don't get served the way you should be, where people are generally friendly to people with an accent and where from I get to go away to the French Riviera everytime I feel like it and bring only the best back with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment