Sunday 30 December 2012

From Vietnam with love

I've been in Vietnam for about 6 days now and I feel its amnesiac effect. I wish I can say  have reached great levels of spiritual enlightenment and made wonderful plans for 2013, but in all honesty all I've done so far is trying not to get ran over by the constant flow of motorbikes pouring down the streets from everywhere, making sure my food is coriander free (quite a challenge when in a country like Vietnam which generously uses all sorts of strong and fragrant green leaves in all the dishes) and getting drunk every day. The drinking part is not because I feel in any way connected to all the young backpackers roaming around (if I get too friendly, I could be accused of pedophilia, as most of them are barely out of high-school) but because I am alive, I'm on holidays and the drinks are cheap!


I don't cease to be amazed by the convenience of everything in Vietnam.  Literally every single cafe or bar provides free wi fi and you never feel too far away from 'civilisation'... I post stuff on Facebook as if I have never left London and somehow, despite being far away, I don't really feel I'm part of an adventure. All I do, is joining the tourist trail and knowing that I'll always be all right no matter what. A few year ago, this would have been enough, but now... I wonder... There isn't so much left to discover unless you try really hard and venture really far. Maybe even risk being eaten by a local tribe. Get bitten by a snake. I don' know. Something extreme... I feel safe in Vietnam and this is a wonderful thing, but I can't stop wondering what is it really that I'm looking for...

This year has been a bit a roller coaster and maybe it's taken its toll on me. Maybe I was expecting to experience some kind of revelations whilst in the far east... Maybe I'm longing for something else, closer to home. Or maybe, I'm just feeling exactly like I'm supposed to be feeling at the end of a really challenging year: spent! Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow in the dawn of a new year on the beach of Nah Trang feeling blissful and charged. Maybe 2013 will start with a massive hangover which I'll be sorting out at the Crazy Kim bar. Or maybe... I don't know. And it's ok not to know. I'm alive. That's all that matters. And the world we live in is full of wonders...





Today, I pledge to live my life. To inhabit my life fully. To stop expecting. To pray for those who are no longer with us. To try not to question why they're gone without a warning, there are no answers to life and death...

To an 'alive' 2013 everyone! 


No comments:

Post a Comment