Tuesday 1 January 2013

The Vietnam effect



I'm certainly not an Asian virgin. I traveled to Thailand and India before, but Vietnam has exceeded all my expectations. It is a lot more developed than I imagined and a lot more cultural. Despite the crazy traffic, Ho Chi Min City is comparable in architecture to any European city.
It's probably something you can apply to all the South Eastern Asian people, but the Vietnamese people really are admirable. Thinking that this country has been torn by war a mere tens of years ago, it's impossible not to be impressed by the smiles on people's faces and by their genuinely good nature. As a tourist, you will find yourself a lot less hassled by merchants. They will accept when you say no and will let you be. The locals are friendly and generous. Unlike other places I've been to, they go out to the same places frequented by foreign travelers and they have a great time. They will be happy to share their food and drink with you without discrimination.
Being in Vietnam makes me feel I could spend a lot of time here and living in a continuous present, enjoying the great food, the good weather and the beautiful beach, not feeling I am missing out on any of the Western commodities.
I didn't come here with some sort of existential problem. I didn't come here to be inspired. I didn't come here looking for a solution to my life. I came here just to be. And that's what I've been doing. But despite not looking for something in particular, I was reminded that the world is a bigger place, with lots of wonders just waiting to be discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment