Wednesday 23 January 2013

The smell of 2013

Each season has its own smell but I think years have too. 2013 smells of new.

This year my new self is seeing the world for the first time. And after talking to people, it seems like everyone's been busy at work crafting new selves, projects and plans.

Monday, 21st of January, has been branded by the media as the 'most depressing day of the year'. It's strange, but ever since I've been back from Vietnam and was expecting to be hit by post-holiday blues, I've been eerily calm, peaceful and optimistic. As for January blues... Didn't happen!

I am clearly a new person.

I'm familiar with this new self because I've been carrying it around for months and maybe even years, like in a marsupial pouch, nourishing it, letting it grow. But now the new self is fully developed and it's out of its hiding place. And it's shaking out like a puppy, stretching its limbs and filling its lungs with air, blinking its eyes repeatedly as if to get used to the world, like a person who's just been woken up from a deep sleep. Everything around my new self is familiar and yet anew.

My new self seems a lot more knowledgeable and confident than my old self. It is aware of a freedom my old self never knew it had. It comes with understanding and acceptance, rather than questioning. It comes with a new found self-respect and an unlimited supply of lust for life. It looks at people and sees souls instead of form.

And my new self is re-evaluating the plans my old self made at the end of 2012. And some of them are still there, waiting to happen, while others are scrutinised, parked, improved or discarded. My new self is not judging that. Plans are fluid, like life, they are meant to change and be re-framed. I think 2013 has brought more clarity on the plans I scribbled down on post-its last year. And my self is happy. There's a story in the making for 2013. And it's totally new!



No comments:

Post a Comment