Sunday 24 October 2010

Carpe Diem

Fear... Fear is the worst enemy of humanity. Of my humanity...

Fear eats me alive and makes me sick to the point of throwing up... I contemplate death and the idea of my non-being scares me to madness. As a human being, I realize how irrational I can be.

A couple of days ago, I decided to go and get the doctor to check some strange pain I felt in my breasts for a couple of weeks. I was sure he would just tell me there was nothing to worry about and just send me home with some paracetamol. He looked at me blankly and said I had lumps on both sides and that I should get them checked. Although that was probably the most reasonable thing to say in the world, I felt as if he was signing my death sentence... I went out of the clinic's door and couldn't shake off the idea I was going to die...I went to work and everything felt surreal. I wasn't there... It was Friday and all I thought about was how was I going to live until I get checked... To try and calm myself down I went to the yoga class at my gym but everything went from bad to worse.

I went to the gym, took off my clothes and started to fold them nicely as in a very important ritual. I suddenly had an image about my uncle's pijamas when he was in the hospital, before he died and I remember thinking that soon the pijama will lie untouched as he will no longer be around... A fear overtook me and I started to cry in the middle of the changing room. I looked at my clothes and a sinister idea took shape. I tried to ignore it and went into the studio. As I was performing down facing dogs and warrior ones, I looked at my body and felt an incredible love for it. I contemplated my hands moving in the air as if they weren't mine and wanted to squeeze them tight, kiss them and hold on to them for as long as possible, as if I had to say good bye to them...

On my way home, I saw a woman with a baby in a buggie. I felt I ran out of air and dashed out of the tube hyperventilating and crying at the same time. I felt I was going to die right then and there... I cried thinking that I was going to die and I was going to die alone... It wasn't until later on that night when I managed to recover a bit of my rationality.

I was told that I was probably still dealing with the sudden loss of my uncle. I remember that I had bought some parsley while he was in the hospital and kept it in water. When he died, the parsely was still in the glass of water. I remember thinking that even the parsley lived longer than him...

I guess I am dealing with a very strong irrational fear. I strongly love life and I would do anything to hold on to it. But then again, who wouldn't?... We would all give anything to live, we would all realize we would have wished to live our lives better, more intensley, more importantly... Carpe Diem has become almost a cliche and we all live away telling each other over a glass of wine "Life is short!" but how many of us really believe it? We all bloody think we're going to live forever...

How do I deal with my fear? I do what I can... I pray... I go out and see my friends... I go to the Opera. I go climbing and I make sure I reach the top even though I am scared of heights. I try and be brave and tell myself I will be all right against all my irrational instincts that almost make me faint of worry... I tell myself that if I am given the chance to life, I will make sure I will waste no time and love every minute of it.

I have never really liked my breasts. Too big, to heavy, not perky enough. But you know what, I love them more than anything right now and I pray for them. I promise to never think a bad thought about them ever again!

Oh, and one more thing: fear made me stop smoking!! So maybe there is something good out of this after all...

4 comments:

  1. Hm, maybe you need another long term activity, like another reason to wake up in the morning. Sometimes it is not enough to have a full day (to go to sleep with the happiness of a feeling of fulfillness given by a busy day or maybe by a "socializing event").
    So given by the book, the fear of death is common to us all and will disappear somewhere by the end of life when you draw the line. But I think is not our case because you look pretty young. By the way, although I am a guy, I didn't find this post searching for "breast" on internet. (I hope you smiled)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Anonymous,

    That's a very nice and sensible comment. Perhaps you are right, I should go ahead and find a better reason to wake up in the morning, maybe I won't be so scared of death anymore...

    By the way, I don't believe you, I am sure you were googling "breast" :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a little bit more faith in God, in you... I am one of those who thinks that life does not end when you die... but that's just me...

    Sorry about your uncle... you should celebrate his life, remember the moments together even if that makes you cry sometimes - you are only human... Maybe you will meet him again - sooner or later...

    If you have the time (or make the time) I can recommend you the book Initiation by Elizabeth Haich. Maybe you will tell one day what you think about this book. Part of the book is about the fear of death - the main character's fear of death... If you are curious just read it.

    Nice blog by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you,I'll definitely look up the book you've recommended.

    It all proved to be quite positive in the end - I went on a charity trekking in Ethiopia and been finding more and more reasons to be alive ever since.

    Hope you're well :)

    ReplyDelete