Thursday 16 February 2012

The simple things



Sometimes it really doesn't matter that it's cold and grey. Sometimes, you just become present and aware of the beautiful everyday surroundings. I am a bit disappointed that I fail to see that more often...

On Valentines Day I went to a comedy gig, left slightly early and made my usual way down from Charing Cross to Embankment when I suddenly felt elated. I felt an eerie sort of happiness which I didn't know where it was coming from. But I knew: it was the beloved walk towards Embankment Tube at night. I realised I love this walk... As I was passing an Italian restaurant I remembered the dinner I had there with my friend Liluna when she came visiting last year, the pub where I had drinks with my friend Michael on a cold winter Friday a year ago, the tea at Starbucks with Aga, the really bad date which took place at Gordon's Wine bar and the park just on the left hand side where I brough Mum last summer.

And above all, a pink lit London Eye and the sound of music...'These are a few of my favourite things' Julie Andrews would sing in the 'Sound of Music' and suddenly I could hear it in a saxophone version coming from a street performer outside the tube entrance. It felt so right, so appropriate, so magic. Determined, I reached for my purse, took out all the change I had there and dropped it into his saxophone case. Silently, I made my way inside the tube station singing in my heard 'These are a few of my favourite things' all the way home...

No comments:

Post a Comment