Tuesday 20 September 2011

Why not colour?

I have a problem with colour. Or to be more precise with the lack of it...






Despite the growing trend of bold colours in fashion this year, I still sense some kind of apathy in people when it comes to embracing colour in their everyday look. I remember noticing one day at work that there were a few people in the kitchen all wearing black from head to toes, including myself. I found that depressing. Why is it that people find no courage in introducing colour in their wardrobes, that they always play it safe? It's boring... Just look around on the tube and count how many people are wearing colourful clothes. Look in your own closet and take out all the coloured items you have. Let me guess: not many...

Why is that? Well, for one - and this is one of the most frustrating thing - colour is not readily available. High street brands have a remarkable tendency to only market a limited set of colours each season, with grey and black being promoted almost exclusively by popular brands such as All Saints. I am also one of those people who are a bit obstinate against wearing uber fashionable items (including colours) as I have an egoistic intention of distinguishing myself a bit from what's too 'in', so I generally avoid the hype colour of the season, unless it's a neutral. Sometimes I give in though, especially if it's an item of clothing/colour I've always loved and which becomes popular and available to buy. I wish I could make my own clothes though... It would make my life so much easier.

Anyway, going back to colour. It's widely known that each colour of the spectrum has a certain psychological association, meaning, feeling about it. For instance blue has been know to have a calming and cooling effect and aid intuition, green is the symbol of renewal and harmony, yellow symbolises optimism, orange stands for happiness and social interaction, purple is a deeeply spiritual colour and red stands for life, energy, enthusiasm etc. We are all different people and we all have a different message for the world around us but I wonder why do we all keep choosing to say the same thing over and over again? Black, grey, brown, black, white, black, black, black, grey, brown...

In a world where colour is abundant (nature is known to have a magnificent display), we, busy people of the 21st century, still shy away from it...


But perhaps in the human world, when it comes to colour, it's like everything in life. Some people prefer a background role and they tend to pick neutrals to camouflage themselves in the environment, while others are not afraid to show off a bit, like Christina Hendricks in Mad Men. I am not sure which one of them I am... Colour still quite scares me... All these years of living in the background I guess...


No comments:

Post a Comment