Thursday 22 August 2013

Proud to be Brit

This morning started out like any other day. My alarm kept snoozing until I made the Herculean effort to get up. I felt tired and left over work issues from yesterday were still dancing inside my head. I got ready automatically and put on a dress I haven't worn the whole summer just because it cried out to be worn. But it wasn't appropriate. It was a 50's flared blue-flowered dress which felt a bit too much. So I put on a different dress, which was so tight it didn't let me breathe. I wondered if I had put on weight or has it always been so tight?... Nevermind, I was out of the house and on my way to Bromley Town Hall.

I didn't have my Home Office letter with me but they let me join the Ceremony anyway and I would have to come back with the letter to get my certificate. I was a bit annoyed with myself for forgetting but soon all of my thoughts dissipated. I was fully present in that velvety town hall room, with the Queen's portrait reigning over and the proud British flag. And I was happy.

I thought I had this under control but I found myself crying during the national anthem. I think I was the only one who chocked on the words, because to me this signified the end of a journey and the beginning of another. I figured I had earned my citizenship because I gave it my all. I spent many years in the UK and UK has been both tough and kind. Britain has been the place where I really grew up, where I discovered who I am, where I found out I have a Fighter in me, the place were I found out the tiny little Dreamer in me was free to dream too.

I was crying during the national anthem because I realised that it wasn't until I really wanted to be a Brit that I became one.

Long live the Queen! 


No comments:

Post a Comment